Current needs for prayer:
- Please pray for their services as they start Ephesians and are trying to be more contextually appropriate.
- Pray for a house for the Wright family who are desperate to move into the community to be more effective in ministry. A number of housing opportunities have fallen through.
- Pray for their team to continue to work well together after a number of big changes in recent months.
- Three elder have just been called and are being trained. Pray for the Lord to grow them and use them for the health and growth of the church.
Barlanark is a scheme of roughly 3800 people in the East End of Glasgow. Its people are full of pride, banter and community spirit. There are many great things about Barlanark. The local non-denominational primary is ranked as one of the best schools in Scotland. There is a history of strong community work from the Church of Scotland, Housing Associations and Public Sector bodies. It’s home to many residents who have spent their whole lives here and have no intention of leaving.
Yet the Scottish Government also ranks it as one of the ‘Most Deprived’ areas of Scotland in the SIMD (Scottish Index of Multiple Deprivation). This report found that Barlanark has;
- 31% of people classed as ‘income deprived’ which is double the national average.
- 29% of people classed as ‘employment deprived’ which is triple the national average.
- 15% of people on prescribed medication for mental health which is double the national average.
These stats at least show that, like most areas, behind the scenes there are people who are struggling. These people need to know hope.
We believe that true hope comes from believing the gospel and being transformed by Jesus, therefore the biggest need the people of Barlanark have is to hear the good news that Jesus saves.
Hope for Barlanark
In 2013, 20schemes partnered with Harper Church in Glasgow to plant a church in Barlanark, led by planters Pete Stewart and Pete Bell. Hope Community Church Barlanark launched in January 2018 and has seen many people be saved by Jesus. Hope Community Church is now an established church that is ‘making Jesus known in Barlanark and beyond by proclaiming the gospel, by making disciples, and by living in community.’
Join the work God is doing in Barlanark!
Sign up to receive updates by email twice a month. We will share updates and requests for prayer from our churches across Scotland!
You can choose to give to one specific church or give generally and we will see that it is spread out amongst the work. Why not sign up to give regularly?
Our churches desperately need mature Christians to come and make Jesus known. Whether short or long-term, is God calling you to serve Him in the schemes of Scotland?